[vlc-devel] [RFC] Re: commit: Provide local routine for ISO_6937 -> UTF-8 conversions ( Marian ??urkovi?? )

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Tue Sep 15 09:40:23 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 09:23:34AM +0200, jpd at videolan.org wrote:
> It is still a bit steep for a backport to 1.0-bugfix in light of the
> "but the bug is elsewhere" argument. It's fine as a workaround in 1.1,
> but 1.0, well, let's hear what others say. Ideally discussing this
> happens before the backport commit.

It's not about "but the bug is elsewhere". Bruno Haible said, libiconv has
different targets and won't support this (see libiconv/NOTES).

I.e. the bug is not elsewhere, the problem is that required conversion
is simply not available. The options are:

- include the conversion routine
- display texts like "Oran?zov?y pomaran?c" in the VLC status line
- disable EPG

Which one would you choose?

Please also note, that EPG passthrough was not available for network
streaming before DVBlast r14 (and r15 fixed a typo in EIT p/f recognition).
Moreover, there were also bugs in VLC preventing EPG from being displayed
- see #3050 and its commits and also commit
777c432b72d95bea2d8b8d736d244436c0dbb8b8

So before Aug 24-th, the problem was not visible, but that wouldn't be the
case anymore for VLC 1.0.2

   With kind regards,

      M.