[vlc-devel] How to record a stream

Anna Richter anna.richter1 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 16 12:25:56 CEST 2009

Higuys!
Thank you for your answers!
Since I work with Linux/Ubuntu 8.10 i don't need to set the --plugin-path options. It was still in my code since I just copied the C-Code for VLC from the wiki-page. If I comment this out, or remove it totally nothing changes.
I think it might be necessary to add a specific function to the code which is responsible for recording the video stream to a file. This function should receive the created media-player instance and the vlc_args as parameters. In the C-Code for VLC there are functions for playing the file (libvlc_media_player_play). I searched for a similar API function for recording, but could not find any.
Does anybody know what function I could use for this purpose?

If I start the vlc on the command line, I can record the video stream to a file by typing:
> vlc rtsp://192.168.4.40:8556/test.mpg --sout file/ts:/home/anna/Desktop/newTest.mpg. In the vlc help (> vlc -H) there are a lot of --sout options given, but no one with
--sout file:/muxer:stream.xyz
If I add the option --sout file/ts:/home/anna/Desktop/newTest.mpg to the vlc_args[], I can compile the code, but after starting the executable I receive the error message:
vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument '--sout file/ts:/home/anna/Desktop/newTest.mpg'

Can somebody help me? Any help, hints or presumptions are very welcome. Of cause I keep searching and trying too. If I find a solution, I will post it.

Best regards

Anna