[vlc-devel] [RFC] Send warning on bad vlc_object_(hold|warning) usage

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Sep 16 13:37:20 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:39:57 +0200, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Holding or releasing a sub-classed object is perfectly valid.
>> Changing the
>> return type of _hold looks OK to me, but not the rest.
>
> It is valid, but it's error prone because of its name. That what I was
> trying to address.

No. You're not trying to address it. You're trying to break the master tree
so badly that nobody will be able to do any meaningful development work on
master until large and boring changes are made. This is not acceptable.

Besides, we still need vlc_object_release() on sub-classes _anyway_, as
someone must destroy the sub-classed object (just) once.