[vlc-devel] How to record a stream

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Wed Sep 16 14:16:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 12:06 +0200, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> > You mean to stop having every application/webplugin using libvlc to
> > query the Windows registry to know what the plugins path is?
>
>   On OS X we can trick dyld to get the path of libvlc. From here we
> can infer a module path. That should be more than enough in most cases.
> I think that the python bindings just try the default installation
> path on Windows. I have no idea if we can do better.
In fact, the python bindings first try without any arguments, then with
the registry information, and as a last resort use the hardcoded
"standard" path c:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\libvlc.dll
See the beginning of
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=bindings/python-ctypes/header.py

It would indeed be really nice to implement this feature (plugin path
autodetection) in libvlc directly.

Olivier