[vlc-devel] commit: Fixed potential stack overflow in avi demuxer. (Laurent Aimar )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:28:49 CEST 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:31 AM, xxcv xxcv <xxcv07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately this commit still doesn't fix the memory error I
> reported earlier where in 64bit binary it spontaneously use upto 4GB
> ram.

The commit log doesn't say anything about that, so why would it?

> Although unreproducible in the 32-bits binary, in 32bits it will
> just call error dialog ask user if it should be repaired. As the AVI
> module is quite old by now and ur the author but unmaintained even
> at the 32bit binary error dialog should not have been called on a
> valid avi file even if user stress tests through the playlist items.
> Seems to be a race condition issue here as the avi item was trying
> to load another thread was not blocked which is leading to a
> catastrophic events on the 64bits binary.
> This seems all ok if playlist full of avi items aren't getting
> stress tested with "N". Nevertheless bug is still here it has been
> there for long time and nobody could bothered to get it fixed.

I think that this description of the bug is cryptic.

A good approach is to:
1- tell your VLC version or changeset
2- list all the steps as a numbered list, so that one can reproduce
it. (make sure the files you use are available somewhere).
3- say what you expect
4- say what happened
5- an eventual paragraphs with your notes or comments
And be precise and succint.

An alternative way is to fix it by yourself with a patch.

Thanks for your work,

Pierre.