[vlc-devel] Gui for Mozilla's plugins

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:17:28 CEST 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:04:36 +0200
Alexandre Millet <a.millet89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are a group of two students working in computers sciences in Paris.
> As some of you may already know, during our first year's internships
> we choosed to work on VLC and enhance the Mozilla plugin's GUI.
>
> We would like to add a control GUI to the plugin (play, pause, seek,
> ...) and we are searching what is the best way to achieve it.
> This is an overview of the advantages and disadvantages of each
> solutions:
>
> - Qt, is very simple to use, extremely portable but the weight of the
> dependencies may be high, QtGui + QtCore exceed 10mb.
> - GTK+ is slighter than Qt but it is not built with portability in
> mind (especially on Windows).

i don't like those for the reasons you mentioned

> - The GUI can also be made in XUL, the downside in that it won't work
> on other browsers that support the NSPlugin API (opera, webkit, ...).

that's a bit sad but it doesn't bother me much

> - The fourth solution would be to integrate the GUI into the VLC core
> and inject the user interface directly into the VLC vout.

i very dislike this idea

> - The last solution would be to use native code. This implies that the
> GUI must be developped one time for each platform and is a pain to
> maintain.

this looks interesting

I imagine the GUI would be quite simple (buttons, progress bar, slider,
labels) and there could be a way to factorize toolkit-specific code.

Now another question is which toolkit to use on UNIX?

--
Rafaël Carré