[vlc-devel] segfault on bad pictures / low link power

İşbaran Akçayır isbaran at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:33:25 CEST 2009

2009/9/8 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:31:17 +0300, İşbaran Akçayır <isbaran at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm using vlc in a udp rtsp multicast mpeg2 network, and this is what
> > happens if link power is low, after some time (1-3 minutes)
> > pictures/video are distorted with green mosaics.
> >
> > I can reproduce this with previous versions of vlc and current 1.0
> > release. Tried on Pardus and Ubuntu Linux so far.
> >
> > here is gdb out:
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/f3a8493c
>
> This looks like a bug in libmpeg2 rather than VLC...

libmpeg2 team confirmed that libmpeg2, mpeg2dec is handling the situation
properly and not crashing and this could be an issue with field picture
handling of vlc, about observing the required field sequence.

below is a file to reproduce the issue, that crashes vlc, it crashes on both
linux and mac builds, windows build seems ok.

it would be great if you could take a look at the issue, it may sound not
important but a crash is a crash, and its annoying

http://www.ish.kodzilla.org/minimum-crash.mpeg

best regards,
işbaran