[vlc-devel] Any idea to render video to a gdk_window without xwindow?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Sep 25 17:40:49 CEST 2009

Le vendredi 25 septembre 2009 18:26:45 David Chan, vous avez écrit :
> I've tested for many days. But i can just render the video to a gdk-window
> via gdk_window_xid(). But hence I will have a dependency to xwindow system.
> Frankly this is not what I want.
> What I want is to render video to a gdk_window directly without X. The I
>  can build a gtk-widget to render video to a gtk-window under
>  GTK+/DirectFB. Could anybody give me some idea?

In principle, you can implement a new video display plugin (or modify the
existing DirectFB plugin) to output the decoded video in whatever chroma and
dimension to a frame buffer you feel like.

But I can only strongly advise against doing this. Sure it looks, it will be
portable. But it will be much slower. You will loose XVideo, meaning rescaling
and chroma conversion will have to be performed by software/CPU, instead the
video overlay. I would rather recommend using XID, HWND or AGL within ifdefs
depending on the target system.

http://www.remlab.net/