[vlc-devel] Please us this to solve #3950 (Font cache is constantly rebuilt)

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:49:05 CET 2010

Le 30 novembre 2010 19:59, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> a écrit :
> Le lundi 29 novembre 2010 20:57:30 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
>> This code path is definitely not dependent on the media file. I could
>> imagine that it would depend on the current working drive, but even that
>> is a bit far fetched.
>
> Or not so far fetched. FcStrCanonFilename() is squashing consecutive anti-
> slashes. I guess R: was your current working drive.

To distiguish between the "current drive" and the "media drive" I did
put a media file on an USB stick.

And when I start vlc from a "dosbox" with a current drive equal to R:
then fontconfig search for
R:\SERVER\users$\myname\Application
Data\vlc\ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb3660bc8bd202-i686.cache-3

With the media file on I: and by double clicking on it then fontconfig
search for
I:\SERVER\users$\myname\Application
Data\vlc\ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb3660bc8bd202-i686.cache-3

When it is not vlc but IE vlc plugin in use, then the process trying
to access/build the font cache is Iexplorer.exe trying on the C: drive
(where IE is installed):
C:\SERVER\users$\myname\Application
Data\vlc\ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb3660bc8bd202-i686.cache-3

So depending on the context, it can be one drive or another. ;-)

I know most VLC developper work on their free time and I know this bug
is mostly only affecting "corporate user".
I know am not contributing code (I am not sure if I own my copyright)
but I contributing the way I can by reporting bug and analyse.
If anybody encounter this bug, is affected, has the time and capacity
to fix it, find the trac ticket or this thread... I hope my report
will help.

Is there a problem if I continue to report bug and to try to get them solved?

David Glaude

PS: I have a work arround that work OK on my corporate PC, I know what
to do to avoid this bug.