[vlc-devel] [RFC] revert Win32: always use the performance timers

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:33:45 CET 2010

2010/12/9 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 21:58:38 +0100, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at elivagar.org>
> wrote:
> >  What were the exact issue when we used timeGetTime()?
>
> It's the same as when you don't use it. It does not work right on some
> computers.

Yep. The reports I have read from forum during few years are quite similar.
In first problem group are the people who only have minor issues with
certain video and audio output modules, usually using OpenGL vout fixes
these since for some reason it gives little more breathing room for aout. In
second problem group we have people who use power saving options (hardware
based ones like Cool&Quiet, and software based ones like Windows power
management), and they usually complain about moderate or very nasty
sync/playback issues (with some laptops removal of power cord can cause
problems since it changes the power management settings). Third group are
overclockers whom say that increase of CPU speed (e.g. with setFSB) causes
issues.

Also I am quite sure that many small audio glitches are related to this
(some people complain that playback speed or pitch of the audio isn't same
with VLC and with other media players).

If someone wants to re-write better timing code, then make sure it works OK
when CPU clock speed changes during playback.