[vlc-devel] [RFC] revert Win32: always use the performance timers

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 9 13:54:11 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 02:49:27PM +0200, Kaarlo Räihä wrote:
> Yes (albeit they aren't only x86 CPUs used in Win32 systems). And x86/x64
> assembly code timers are also option in case Win32 API doesn't provide
> needed solution (IIRC some games use these).

Please don't use RDTSC. They're not correctly updated across sleep states on
all processors (much less suspend/resume); they are _not in sync_ between
cores (so as your process is migrated, it can easily jump back and forth -- a
_lot_), usally do not respect CPU frequency scaling, and so on.

Generally, my impression is that the most appropriate timer you have is the
one in the sound card (unless you happen to have an external clock, like in
SDI), but I have no idea how it is easy to get VLC to work with this.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/