[vlc-devel] [RFC] revert Win32: always use the performance timers

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Fri Dec 10 01:23:31 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 02:09:43AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> As far as I know, QueryPerformanceTimer() is supposed to be uniform across
> processors, except on buggy chipsets (read: Microsoft does not work around
> chipset bugs). Otherwise, why would the function exist anyway...

Remember that the function was introduced way before SMP became commonplace.
As the name implies, it's intended for performance measurement, AFAIK not
general timing. In any case, its intention is sort of moot if it doesn't work
in practice and nobody is going to fix it. :-)

> We are not looking for one-fits-all. We are looking for a monotonic clock that
> has decent precision and is uniform across all processing units, like the
> POSIX monotonic clock on Linux.

I'm not actually sure if that exists, unless the millisecond precision of
GetTickCount() is good enough.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/