[vlc-devel] add support for https video streaming from websites with untrusted SSL certificates

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:47:22 CET 2010

On 21 Dec 2010 01:32, "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

  Hello,

On Tuesday 21 December 2010, Francois Cartegnie wrote:
> - Regarding my June patch for CA locations...
Uh? The GnuTLS plugin looks -recursively- for certificate in two locations:
- $(sysconfdir)/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
- $XDG_DATA_HOME/vlc/ssl/certs

The first one is normally controlled by the system administrator, but the
user
is free to add certificates to the second location. Unfortunately, I am not
aware of any standardized location for applications to store this. But I'd
be
happy to implement it if XDG defines ones.

> That's why vlc should either provide support for an additional (and
provide
> a minimal interface...
As I already said, a proper certificate manager is awfully complicated, not
mention that it will be difficult to split the UI from the x509 back-end. On
top
of that most users are unlikely to even understand certificate management.
System administrators also do not want to provision VLC separately. That is
not exactly the most important VLC use case for us to work so much on it.

So I really think VLC should use the system stores. It's probably simpler to
implement (on lacking platforms) than a custom certificate manager.

http://www.remlab.net/