[vlc-devel] add support for https video streaming from websites with untrusted SSL certificates

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Dec 21 21:52:22 CET 2010

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:28:52 +0100, Francois Cartegnie <fcvlcdev at free.fr>
wrote:
>> Uh? The GnuTLS plugin looks -recursively- for certificate in two
> locations:
>> - $(sysconfdir)/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
>> - $XDG_DATA_HOME/vlc/ssl/certs
>
> Wasn't able to find this in the documentation

The what?

> /wiki.

The wiki is a big joke. Someday, some developer thought it would be nice if
users would write the documentation. Except users cannot write correct
documentation without... correct documentation. So it failed miserably. So
our wiki is not very well organized (typical of wikis), full of errors or
out-of-date stuff and of course lacking a lot.

If you want to fix that, help yourself.

> It's an obscure configuration path, and the user can't find it by itself.

Normal users should not have to care about that. Normal users don't even
know how x509 works.

>> As I already said, a proper certificate manager is awfully complicated,
>> not to mention that it will be difficult to split the UI from the x509
>
> No need to 'manage' certs. We just need to add an extra config variable,
> defaulting to '$XDG_DATA_HOME/vlc/ssl/certs', which user can change
> through the interface.

Customizing this location is _totally_ pointless. If you want to share the
place with other apps, you should either create a symbolic link, or better,
get a solution standardized in XDG.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis