[vlc-devel] vlc-android advancement report

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 10:29:33 CET 2010

2010/12/31 Dominique Martinet <asmadeus at codewreck.org>

> Hi all,
>
> Lots of people have started to take interest in how vlc for android is
> progressing, so I will try to answer here for everyone.
>
> First, we are currently only working on support for Gingerbread (2.3)
> and after; it doesn't mean there won't ever be something working for
> versions prior to that, but it will require more work (video uses new
> functions like ANativeWintow_fromSurface in OpenGLES, and audio uses
> OpenSLES)
> The core of vlc and ffmpeg have been working for a while, even with 2.2
> and probably before with little work; it's just the outputs that will
> need to be worked on.
>
> Now, that doesn't mean we're just done with 2.3 either.
> MagSoft wrote a working video output, and someone with a nexus s
> (protozoa) reported that video plays smoothly on a real device.
> I wrote an audio output... that could probably work... but VLC won't
> call the Play() function of the output so we don't know yet :P
>
> So basically, what's left is to figure what's wrong here and to make an
> interface for the player itself, and to make everything compatible with
> the trunk for a merge.
>
> The current git is available here:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-android.git;a=summary
>

> As far as I know, Rohit Yadav and protozoa both work on the interface
> more or less separately, and ivoire works on integrating patches to the
> trunk.
>
> I welcome any idea as to why VLC would give "PTS is out of range"
> errors, even on a real device playing a wav file (can't say it's slow
> decoding can we?), you can find a log of the verbose vlc output that I
> commented a bit here:
> http://vlc.pastebin.com/eG80FHwz
> Feel free to tell me on irc or reply to this mail.

I can comment few things:

--- is a module called 'dummy' ok for use? (is there another one besides
mmap anyway? Well, video works with that so... Dunno)
It is OK. Usually on desktop environment module is memcpy, memcpymmxext or
similar.

--- Where does that 48510Hz comes from?! There's nothing that ever says
->48510Hz!?!
that is normal behavior for VLC. It does the same on Win32. (I don't know
reason for this, maybe something to do with High quality audio resampling
option)

--- output is s16l and mixer is fi32, there are filters in between but isn't
there a mixer that works directly in s16l? (could maybe have one
bitnes-agnostic and we just need to configure it somewhere?)
AFAIK float is only one
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=tree;f=modules/audio_mixer