[vlc-devel] [RFC] Slimming LibVLC down

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 1 15:49:17 CET 2010

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:37:39 +0100, Olivier Aubert
<olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> However, the situation has not really changed from 2
> years ago: the mediacontrol *source* API has remained stable (for my
> definition of stable that is) for the last 6 or 7 years,

If you only care about source compatibility, then you won't mind that
mediacontrol is moved to a different binary shared object, outside of
libvlc$(LIBEXT).

> Just try to do any change you intend to make (regardless of other
> people's opinions[1]) properly, by testing your changes and correctly
> updating involved sources (including language bindings).

I test my changes against the built-in LibVLC tests suite.

I never promised to test or even update all the LibVLC bindings, plug-ins
and applications. I have do not have the time, the hardware, the competence
and/or the credentials for that. The respective maintainers of bindings are
free to continue to depend on older LibVLC versions or to update.

In fact, there was an agreement to move bindings out of the tree. Though it
seems we failed to settle who would actually do it. (In that respect, I
don't understand why the C++ bindings were added to vlc.git.)

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis