[vlc-devel] commit: itml: new playlist design (Jakob Leben )

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:34:55 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let the input_item API simple, this add crappy playlist
> complexity back in the input_item. :/

Well, if you ask me, I think the playlist mentality is already too much
embedded in playlist (and sort) demuxing; but it is not the tree structure,
that is bad here. For the situation to be really useful and more productive
at the moment, what we would need is to differentiate between normal input
items that one can actually play and container items and then to be able to
ask the container items: "give me your subitems" without needing to "play"
them like we do with others.

And it is a bit absurd to say that  demuxing of tree-structure playlists and
sort should avoid messing with tree structures... using tree structures at
the source of data is rather the most natural and efficient way.