[vlc-devel] RE : skins2 update

brezhoneg1 brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 15 15:06:18 CET 2010

Hi,

Skins2 has improved significantly between vlc1.0 and vlc1.1

Here is a summary of main changes :
---------------------------------

- better performance
  - the old polling system has been replaced with use of callbacks
    when interacting with vlc core
  - GUI has been optimised (faster and cleaner refresh)

- a bunch of bug fixes or improvements among which
  - playlist
  - list of skins

- a few new features
  - a skinnable fullscreen controller
  - animated images with a finite number of loops

- Linux port
  Linux port was not functioning satisfactorily in vlc1.0 (frequent
deadlocks due to how xlib was used)
  This part has been rewritten, and vlc1.1 is performing on Linux as
fine as it does on Windows.

pending issues for vlc1.1
---------------------------

- crashes at termination still occur mainly on windows (it has to do
with the use of qt4 as dialog provider).
Hopefully, it should be worked out before vlc1.1 is rolled out.

- maybe, a cleanup of skins2 available on vlc web site.
(Some are fully broken, some just need small fixes to perform really
well)

cool features (for vlc1.2 ?)
---------------------------

- a full integration of skins2 and qt4 (patches available)
     - skins2/qt4 change without restart
     - video reparenting extended to skins2-to-qt4 and vice versa
     - 'vlc -I qt' still available without skins whereas
       'vlc -I skins' can feature a full qt4/skins2 integration

- skins2 browser and installer (connected to vlc web site) (patch
available)

- new tags for use of art in skins2 (in progress)

Regards

Erwan10