[vlc-devel] commit: Replace Freebox and French TV SD from shout.c with lua scripts ( Fabio Ritrovato )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 15 16:30:24 CET 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:59:57 +0100, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
>> The UI clutter is a problem. Rather, this sets a precedent that you can
>> clutter the UI for something provider-specific. And we simply cannot do
>> that for every triple-play ISP on the face of the earth.
>
> Yes, we'd better have a non intrusive UI. Actually showing it if
supported
> is something nice, though it cost a network connection.

With SD probe, we can check that. But that does not solve the problem. One
DNS query for every provider is not an option either. In fact, I find it
worse. I don't need to mention that mafreebox.free.fr also resolves outside
Free, does have a web server on port 80.

>> Also, the error message is rather confusing when a user tries to use the
>> service not through a Free connection.

> The error message should be removed then.

I think silent failure is worse than a confusing error message. Besides, it
is the standard input failure message, and we should definitely not remove
that particular one.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis