[vlc-devel] Problems compiling current git on OSX

Michael Ditum mike at mikeditum.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 14:36:55 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the latest git version on OSX and getting an error
currently. I'm building on Snow Leopard and have the latest XCode installed.

I have run the following commands in order to build it...

git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git
cd vlc/extras/contrib/
./bootstrap
make
cd ../../
./bootstrap
./configure --host=i386-apple-darwin10 CFLAGS="-arch i386" CXXFLAGS="-arch
i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386" OBJCFLAGS="-arch i386"
make

and am getting the following error after a couple of minutes.

Making all in src
  GEN    stamp-revision
make  all-recursive
Making all in .
  CCLD   libvlccore.la
libtool: link: warning:
`/Users/mike/Documents/vlc/extras/contrib/hosts/i686-apple-darwin10/lib/
libiconv.la' seems to be moved
i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2:
/Users/mike/Documents/vlc/extras/contrib/hosts/i686-apple-darwin10/lib//libiconv.dylib:
No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [libvlccore.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

The file certainly doesn't exist in that directory. Am I missing a step in
the process to generate this file or should it be provided in the contribs
package?

Thanks for your help!

Mike