[vlc-devel] Fwd: Streaming from external cam on MacOS

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Feb 16 20:13:07 CET 2010

Le mardi 16 février 2010 18:13:23 Luca Barbato, vous avez écrit :
> On 02/15/2010 06:40 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> > Attached is a patch that let you select your qtcapture device using
> > "qtcapture://My Device Name". It's not tested and is unlikely to be
> > merged for 1.1 due to the feature freeze, unless the release manager
> > picks it.
>
> Along with that would be accepted a patch that introduces a generic
> capture target (say capture://) ?

Nitpicking, but I find "capture" rather vague, when VLC already has audio,
screen and video capture plugins. "camera://" looks better IMHO.

Less trivially, I doubt that device name would be a good choice of identifier.
Those are not portable at all (not just across platforms, but across hardware
vendors), so there is no meaningful way for application and website developers
to use them.

That said, I have no fundamental objections.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis