[vlc-devel] commit: Qt: separate status bar label for "Buffering" + show time while seeking (close #2760) (Jakob Leben )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Feb 18 14:32:20 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 07:02:09PM +0100, Jakob Leben wrote :
> - Omitting the text "Buffering" might make it not clear what the bar
> means. (or if we show the text next to the time we loose space again)
Yes, but I don't think it is very important.

"Buffering" is a minor thing, and for most medias it doesn't even matter
(DVD, CD, files, and anything not network has 300ms of cache)

Then, all browser have a progress bar for loading without explanation.
People are used to webbrowsers.

> - A bar all over the back of the time label might make reading time
> difficult (and the original intent of the bug poster was to be able to
> read time)
Make it behind.

> - A tiny little bar below the time might be too invisible.
Not a good idea.

> - In the end, i think there's enough space for the main information
> already. And the buffering label is only shown temporarily.
Well, I believe the current solution will trigger more mails/questions of
"Hey, something flashed on my statusBar for 0.3s and I don't know what
it is." Especially because it disappears afterwards...

The current solution is noticeable for any media, while people who
actually care about the buffering in network streams will see it.

Therefore, I believe we should have it:
 - as a background of the timeLabel
 - with a toolTip so people asking "WTF" would know, even after disapparition
 - with the "buffering" text shown only for a lapse of second and then
 going back to time.

> I'm open to any opinions on these thoughts...
>
> On 2/17/10, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 07:06:40AM +0100, git version control wrote :
> >> vlc | branch: master | Jakob Leben <jleben at videolan.org> | Wed Feb 17
> >> 07:04:15 2010 +0100| [0972b0824c8e7d68632bc4d8ee3072bad16f3a19] |
> >> committer: Jakob Leben
> >>
> >> Qt: separate status bar label for "Buffering" + show time while seeking
> >> (close #2760)
> >>

> > While it is cool that you fixed that bug, I am not sure about the
> > solution.
> >
> > I had thought about having the buffering event show a bar (according the
> > %) in the timeLabel, redifining the paint of the timeLabel and not a
> > completly new label, that takes place from the main information (title).
> >
> > Not sure what the best solution is.
> >
> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Kempf
> > http://www.jbkempf.com/