[vlc-devel] problem with libvlc_media_player_set_xwindow and a X window created by XCB

Mathieu SCHROETER mathieu.schroeter at gamesover.ch
Sat Feb 27 12:59:06 CET 2010

Hello,

I tried to use libvlc 1.1 (tested against [1]) to play a video in a
X window created directly by XCB. But unfortunately, it returns
some errors. I don't know if there is a bug somewhere in libvlc..
or maybe my use of libvlc is wrong?!

I've attached a small test app to reproduce the problem.. it creates
a window in fullscreen, plays a video, and waits 2 sec. The window
stays black and there are some errors printed by libvlc. Note that
a window created in this way is perfectly usable with `mplayer -wid`
and xine-lib.

  gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs xcb libvlc` testxid.c -o testxid
  ./testxid foobar.avi

The log of libvlc is attached..

The interesting part:

[0x149a0c8] main generic debug: looking for vout display module: 1 candidate
[0x149a4a8] main window debug: looking for vout window xid module: 2
candidates
[0x149a4a8] qt4 window debug: Qt4 interface not found
[0x149a4a8] main window debug: no vout window xid module matching "any"
could be loaded
[0x149a0c8] xcb_x11 generic error: parent window not available
[0x149a0c8] main generic debug: no vout display module matching "x11"
could be loaded
[0x7f7fac045ea8] main video output debug: no video output module
matching "any" could be loaded
[0x7f7fac045ea8] main video output error: video output creation failed

Regards,
--
Mathieu SCHROETER

[1]