[vlc-devel] [Translators] what is the sense of "clean effects" in audio menu ?

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Jan 4 14:51:04 CET 2010

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:30:22 +0200, Cristian Secară wrote
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:33:43 +0100, Marian Ďurkovič wrote:
>
> > The "Clean effects" flag (0x01) should indicate that the audio track
> > is a special one, containing no language (no speech) but just the
> > effects (background sounds like steps, shutting doors, noise of
> > car/train etc).
>
> Thank you for the info. So now I understand that this is something
> different than the "clean audio" which is meant for the hearing
> impaired.

Yes. According to ISO/IEC 13818:

audio_type -- The audio_type is an 8 bit field which specifies the type of
stream defined by the table 2-53:

Value  	        Description
0x00 	        Main Audio
0x01 	        Clean effects
0x02 	        Hearing impaired
0x03 	        Visual impaired commentary
0x04-0x7F 	Reserved
0x80-0xFF 	User private

clean effects -- This field indicates that the referenced program element has no
language.

hearing impaired -- This field indicates that the referenced program element is
prepared for the hearing impaired.

visual_impaired_commentary -- This field indicates that the referenced program
element is prepared for the visually impaired viewer.

> Regarding my question, so this is a static descriptive menu label (not
> an action).

Yes.

    With kind regards,

           M.