[vlc-devel] [Patch] Add a decrapifier module

Jean-Philippe André jpeg at videolan.org
Thu Jan 7 17:26:20 CET 2010

Thursday 07 January 2010, 16:32:33,
Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> I would like to have a feature like the one described in this patch in
> VLC. I intend to push something like this.
>
> Do you have any comment?

Yes, I do.

>The main idea is to extract from the naming of your file a nicer name
>and eventually more relevant info.

Good idea, as many filenames are crappy indeed.

>*All* the lua modules will be run, so that you can get to apply different
>filters.

I'm afraid we'll lose too much information this way...
I believe one single good "decrapifier" would do the job completely. In case
that single script isn't able to clean the name, then it passes over to a
second script, and so on, like for art fetchers.

>For now this gets run just before the art finder module from the fetcher
>thread.

Why should the art finder module not know the original filename?

I think we need a Lua function vlc.clean_name(filename) or
vlc.information_from_name or whatever sounds better :-)
Calling this function from a Lua script would trigger the load of a "movie
name decrapifier" that would itself load another Lua script. Maybe. (Must not
go into an infinite loop of course!)
This way you can even search for metadata with the original filename or with a
cleaned name at your will (exact filename works better for subtitles searches
for instance).

>When this is run you get the opportunity to use the extracted meta
>information to use more precise meta data fetcher such as art finder,
>or imdb.
>
>The included filter transform "South.Park.S01E14-MYEnc.Tag[Extra].avi"
>to "South Park S01E14" and set the appropriate meta data (Episode, show
> name).

Btw, the word decrapifier sucks. "Cleaner" sounds better to me. And I don't
like "movie name <decrapifier>" either. You don't decrapify only movie
filenames, but also music, TV shows, ... Maybe "media name cleaner" is a better
guess?

Best,

--
Jean-Philippe André (jpeg)