[vlc-devel] commit: Remove http shortcut from LUA ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Jan 9 10:32:21 CET 2010

Le samedi 9 janvier 2010 01:05:22 Antoine Cellerier, vous avez écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 22:42:39 +0100, Antoine Cellerier
> > <dionoea at videolan.org>

> > > Where ?
> >
> > I don't know. It is quite obvious under strace.
>
> If you're talking about the constant client side refresh requests, the
> code is identical between the C and lua version so reverting back to
> the old one won't help a bit (especially since it doesn't answer to the
> http name anymore).

No. I just ran $(strace vlc -I http) without any browser open.

> On a constructive note, this is something I'd to love to fix but do not
> know how to. Maybe keeping an active http connection so the server can
> send events to the client? Anyone know how stuff like Google Wave handle
> server side updates?

To avoid closing HTTP connections, the server must either know and provide the
Content-Length (before sending the content), or use chunked Transfer-Encoding.
Then it must have long-ish timeouts for inactive connections.

I thought we already did that (which would point to a client side problem).

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis