[vlc-devel] [OT] Thoughts on the meeting date

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Jan 10 20:26:16 CET 2010

	Hello,

The second VideoLAN meeting ended three weeks ago, so this topic may be a bit
premature, but I'd rather raise it while it's still somewhat fresh.

Traditionally, as in twice, the meeting has been held in Paris the week-end
before Christmas. As we have unfortunately seen, the weather can disturb
travel arrangements. There are always risks, but I believe the winter season
is most prone to that sort of issues. To make things worse, the week-end
before Christmas sees higher traffic as people go on holydays.

Also, the number of people who'd come to France around Chrismas time is
perhaps not that high anymore (wasn't it just xtophe and me?) - assuming it
goes on being held in Paris.

Last, this year and the next one, Christmas, and the following New Year's day,
occur on a week-end days. For employees, this is doubly inconvenient. First,
it implies fewer paid holydays. Second, more holydays would need to be spent
for those who'd stay away from the VDD up to Christmas.

So all in all, I would suggest that the next meeting, should there be one, be
held earlier.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis