[vlc-devel] rtp sequence numbers

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Mon Jan 11 16:09:42 CET 2010

Hello,

We're using a streaming server that vlc feeds via rtp/sdp. This server often complains at the beginning of a session that vlc is sending it invalid rtp packets. Cause of complaint is the base sequence number, reported by vlc in RTP-Info response to PLAY command and sequence number of the rtp packets that follow. Often base seq is higher than seq of packets, therefore server discards them.

Looking at code of 1.0.3, modules/stream_out/rtp.c, I see that seq= value in RTP-Info PLAY response is filled by rtp_get_seq, that based on the comment there returns the sequence number of the next packet. Next of what?
Can it happen that this is called when vlc is already packetizing the stream? Or is there some other bug that makes possible for base sequence number to be higher than sequence number of the first packet?

I'd like to understand what's going on here.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org