[vlc-devel] Why do we use fi32?

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:00:15 CET 2010

2010/1/19 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
> Is there any reason why we use 32-bits fixed point (fi32) for audio
> filtering with !HAVE_FPU? I could not find any *non-trivial* audio filter
> in the VLC tree that would implement fi32. Why don't we use s16l instead?
> It would save conversion from fi32 to s16l toward the audio output, and in
> many case converting from s16l to fi32 from the decoder.

When Meeuh rewrote the input layer it was decided to support for high
quality audio with fl32 and fi32. At that time several conversion
filters where written also for fi32 IIRC.

However as you pointed out currently audio is being processed
internally mostly as s16l and 2 unnecessary conversion are being done.