[vlc-devel] Need advice in starting VLC development

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Wed Jan 20 23:07:21 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:33:35AM -0500, Bob L. wrote:
> Could anyone advice me what KDE would you recommend to use for VLC
> compilation and debugging in UBUNTU and WINDOWS?

There are multiple? Or did you mean `IDE'?

Personally I use vi (nvi, not vim, TYVM), ctags, screen, xterms, and
use gdb whenever I need a debugger. Others might use vim or emacs or
kdevelop or code::blocks or eclipse or what-have-you.

> Also, any suggestion/advice on how to start developing. Please dont
> send me to the Wikipedia site.

Get the latest source through git (git clone, details see [1]), work out
how to build it with a collection of ./configure --options suitable for
what you want to do (and put that all in a build script) making sure you
have all the prerequisites installed and/or available in contrib and
check that what you built actually works.

Then you can try and find some code to work on, like see [2] for ideas,
or trawl through trac[3] for bugs to close.