[vlc-devel] commit: New C++ binding for libvlc. ( R?mi Duraffort )

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Tue Jan 26 10:06:36 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:10:47AM +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> However the goal I want to pursue is header independence and library
> independence. This should explain the rest of about auto-generation.
>
> The reason why I want header independence are better API stability,
> and sound layering...

I'd add ``namespace pollution'' (eg macros don't respect namespaces) as
a reason to prevent needing C headers, otherwise C++ bindings don't add
much value other than convenience.

> And I would prefer us to have something that match as closely as we
> can the direction we want to take, even if it's uncomplete now. (We
> probably disagree here, but fine, could be a taste issue.)

No, I think that if you want that, that's fine, and if the whole thing
isn't entirely complete yet, that's understandable.

But don't wait with making sure using the C++ bindings doesn't need the
libvlc C headers. Because you can much easier add to an API than you can
remove things from it, that feature needs to be present right from the
start otherwise it won't happen without a rewrite.