[vlc-devel] [Patch] Sending a signal when a vout is created/destroyed

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jan 26 21:04:25 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:13:49 +0100, Hugo Beauzee-Luyssen
> <beauze.h at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This patchs adds a libvlc_MediaPlayerVoutChanged event, that let an
> > application using libvlc know when a vout has been created.
> > This can be usefull when trying to know the width or height of a
> > media, using libvlc_video_get_width/height, as these functions
> > immediatly return when no vout has been spawned.
>
> It's none of the LibVLC application business when a video output is
> created; that's an internal implementation detail. It should only care that
> there is a new elementary stream. Hence I think that event does not deserve
> to exist.
 I don't agree (completly) with you. It is usefull to know when a vout
exists to know when to present some options to the users like:
 - snapshot.
 - video filters.
 - deinterlace configurations.

 I do agree that knowing when a vout exists is not really what is needed,
but more to know when a video ES is decoded and starts outputting data[1].
But in VLC, it's the same thing.

[1] With streaming, there can be a large delay between the moment a decoder
is instanciated and the moment it outputs data.

--
fenrir