[vlc-devel] commit: libvlc: Export libvlc_media_player_get_input_thread(). (Pierre d' Herbemont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jan 29 14:27:33 CET 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:18:31 +0100, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

>>> Why would you not hope so?
>>
>> Because it's rather scary if one of the main author of LibVLC and a
>> committer to the VLC repository won't fix the LibVLC API instead of
>> adding those hacks.
>>
>> get_instance() was meant for external people who can't or at least won't
>> afford to improve *our* API.
>
> jb specifically said that he was against having extension exported in
> libvlc.

And I think he's right. It wouldn't make sense. Those are UI extensions.
They're tied with VLC. Do you get Firefox extension when using the Gecko
engine?! Do you get Konqueror plugins when using WebKit? Of course not.

> I am work-arounding.

And I am against exposing input_thread_t out of LibVLC.

So do you work-around that too?

> I am all the for exporting a sound API for extension. I have a very
> light one in VLCKit, I could reproduce it in libvlc.

If extensions don't belong in LibVLC (and I do think they don't), they
don't belong in VLCKit either.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis