[vlc-devel] Debian/Ubuntu VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 12 20:54:53 CEST 2010

	Hello,

I think it is fair to say that there is increasing frustration from users and
developers w.r.t. the state of VLC in Debian & Ubuntu. I am left wondering
what is the best way forward...

1) Debian stable

Some time ago, one of the Debian Security (testing or stable, I honestly don't
remember) complained that the VideoLAN project security update process was
less than optimal. Guess what? It's been almost 3 months since we released VLC
1.0.6, and still Debian Stable ships the same security holes. If we are doing
less than optimal, Debian Stable is doing outright PATHETIC.

2) Ubuntu current version

Sooner or later, someone will find a security hole in VLC 1.0.6. If not for
security, there are known critical bugs already. For a start, the Mozilla
plugin just crashes. Always.

If I understand right, Reinhard considered making a PPA, whereas Benjamin
suggested VideoLAN make a PPA. Either way, I am concerned that this will cause
a flood of untraceable Apport crash reports. How are we supposed to fix that?

3) Ubuntu LTS

At this point in the spacetime continuum, LTS is the current version. But what
should be done in a few months when it's not the case anymore?

4) Ubuntu older versions

Ubuntu happily ships VLC with known security holes. WTH?

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis