[vlc-devel] Qt4 open dialogs (again)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Jul 18 16:44:59 CEST 2010

	Hello,

I don't recall coming to a conclusion as to what should be done with the
multiple open dialogs. The current situation is a bit messy.

Disks
------
There are two ways to open disks:
- Media (menu), then Open disc, then Play.
- Devices (from playlist), then Discs, then the playlist item.

The good news is, both methods support streaming and transcoding. That said,
it is a bit hard to find in both cases. With the open dialog you need to keep
the Play button pressed and use the combo. With the playlist, you need to
right click on the item.

However neither options are really good. On the one hand, the open dialog does
not find the available discs and types automatically, so it requires manual
setup from the user. On the other hand, the playlist item does not allow
disabling menus or selecting specific titles/chapters.

Arguably though, disabling DVD menus and selecting titles are advanced
features mostly of use for transcode & streaming. Afterall, the navigation
menu is more convenient for normal playback. So it might make sense to move
them to the streaming and transcoding wizard? But even then, what do we do of
the menu item? Do we change it to show the disc SD in the playlist (on
platforms that support this)? Ideally, the SD could perhaps be "embedded" in
the dialog, but such implementation seems quite complicated to me.

A/V Capture
------------
From usability perspective, I think capture is a lot worse than disks. On the
one hand, the dialog expects the user to know what audio and video device to
open, which is really awful. On the other hand, the SD plugins can only
provide pure audio or silent video, due to playlist design "limitations".

So it seems the only solution is to embed the SD's in the dialog, but I have
no clue how to do that.

Screen capture
Not too bad, but the open dialog can only capture the whole desktop. If/when
the SD gets XRR support, we can select individual displays or view ports, but
again only from the playlist...

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis