[vlc-devel] [RFC] dbus plugin removal

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 19 12:52:54 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:10:56 +0200, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:23:21 (CEST), Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:08:39 +0200, Mirsal Ennaime
>> <mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Understood.
>>> Is it still a problem if all all the libdbus calls are made from a
>>> single thread at a time ?
>>
>> I fail to see how you're going to be able to do that.
>
> Instantiate a proxy object with fixed cpu affinity, and route all
> libdbus calls through that proxy.

The problem is, libdbus is invoked from several places:
 - the DBus control plugin at stake here,
 - the inhibit plugin (or did we remove that already?),
 - the Telepathy plugin,
 - indirectly from the notify plugin,
 - indirectly from Qt4 UI libraries...

I don't see how we can tell say Qt4 to use our proxy object.

>> And it does not solve the problem anyway.

> what problems are left?

Even if we managed to interlock all libdbus calls, (un)setenv() could still
crash any other thread calling getenv() from any other (non-DBus) code
path... That was filed as FreeDesktop bug 27585 already.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis