[vlc-devel] [PACKAGERS] Tag 1.1.0-rc2

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jun 7 13:41:19 CEST 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:49:17 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 1/ vlc -rc2 is crashing with me. (core dump) I'm trying to reproduce
> on another system.
> That was not the case with -pre3.

That looks like a buggy taglib in Fedora.

> 2/ Cache generation failure doesn't need to fail the build:

Something is really wrong with your build if cache generation fails. It
actually seems like a safety feature to me.

> But that's still strange that if a module fails, then it makes the
> cache generation to return an error.

Generally, if a module fails, VLC crashes. Again, that's why I find it best
to detect the problem before it hits customers.

> Also, that rather late in the development process, but I'm not
> satisfied with the cache dir in located in _prefix/lib

gconv does the same with its plugins.

> It should be better in /var/cache/vlc.

Not really, no. It's solely dependent on the content of lib, so it's fine
there (as with gconv). Second, it requires a 1:1 mapping to directories, so
/var/cache simply would not work.

> And in case there is two
> versions installed in parallels (such as lib32 and lib64 version) the
> name-space have to be different.
> I'm still trying to figure out.

That works out of the box with the current scheme - the cache is stored in
the same directory as the plugins themselves.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis