[vlc-devel] Compilation time assertion failed. src/misc/threads.c

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Jun 13 06:14:21 CEST 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
> SunCC build is broken since the compilation time check from
> commit e3c350269cf1b482d2f6842e5b31a83be27a1c40
>
> Fixing vlc_mutex_t alignment to 1 byte makes it work.

Any serious operating system will perform some atomic operations on mutexes. This avoids doing system calls on the non-contentious cases. And atomic operations typically need to be aligned, though this is obviously architecture-dependent.

Besides, I fail to see how that could possibly change the quotient of sizeof's. It should be equal to the number of elements if the table regardless of the alignment/padding.

> But I don't know which side (struct, assert?) needs to be fixed.

Until proven wrong, I will assume the compiler is the side that needs fixing.

--
Rémi