[vlc-devel] Running interface on the main thread

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Jun 17 22:52:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:26:47PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> It would be a huge amount of work. But J-B has consistently opposed this
> change, so it is a moot question.

Yes/No. I don't oppose the change, I said that I wouldn't do it. Who
would then? GUIs are boring, boring and boring to do, and to polish.

The choice would have been clever when changing from wx to Qt|Gtk.
Now, I believe this is too late and won't improve the user experience...
It might have been a good idea, I don't say else.

libVLC is so far so limited (I have done 3 libVLC applications so far,
and seen the phonon-VLC work closely) that so many dialogs are very complex
to do (extended, messages, mediainfo, bookmarks, SD, effects!, tracks synchro
and so on).
The VLC framework does a lot of things, and the GUI does the
mapping between everyone, so it is even more difficult.

The fact that the brand-new classy Lunettes has moved from libvlc to
libvlccore proves just a bit more my point.

To finish, I believe we can fix the OSX GUI without changing the core,
and we should do that.

Let's not troll too much on that, anyway, the slow work on Lunettes
proves a bit more my point. Doing interfaces is boring, grateless and not fun.

The normal OSX gui can be fixed, if someone really wants it.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/