[vlc-devel] vlc 1.1 and live555 version

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 22 11:46:56 CEST 2010

A FYI, for those of you who haven't been keeping
track of recent LIVE555 developments: The RTSP
client implementation underwent a major upgrade,
starting with revision 2010.05.29.  We now
support asynchronous (i.e., non-blocking) RTSP
client commands.  This will significantly improve
RTSP client support in future versions of VLC
(and other applications), allowing RTSP commands
to take place without blocking other, concurrent
activities.  (However, for backwards
compatibility, the old synchronous RTSP client
API is still available (and is implemented using
the new asynchronous API), so VLC's "live555.cpp"
interface code need not change right away.)

As Sébastien noted, we have been shaking out some
bugs with this new RTSP client implementation;
however the latest version (2010.06.22) appears
quite stable.
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.