[vlc-devel] Enabling login for Web Plugin

Michael Ditum mike at mikeditum.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 15:32:11 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Michael Ditum <mike at mikeditum.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > I'm currently investigating a problem we're seeing on a couple of
> computers
> > with the plugin crashing internet explorer (and sometimes firefox) when
> > viewing some of our video streams. I've managed to get the normal VLC app
> > logging to a file (by enabling file logging, set verbosity to 2, setting
> the
> > file to log to and enabling the logger interface) but I can't recreate
> the
> > problem in the main client. It only occurs with the web plugin.
> > Is there anyway I can enable logging for the web plugin so I can start
> > trying to work out why it's crashing? It doesn't seem to obey the vlcrc
> file
> > (I'm guessing it wont load the logger interface for security reasons) so
> > it's not logging currently.
>
> Do the following:
>
> 1) Shutdown your browser applications
> 2) Open a DOS box or Linux terminal.
> 3) Start firefox (or IE) from the commandline
>
> Now you will have logging on your console (DOS, Linux Terminal)

Thanks for the information but I don't seem to be able to get it to work.
When I run iexplore.exe or firefox.exe from the dos prompt it starts the
program but immediately returns and gives me the prompt again and no output.
If I try it in a cygwin shell it doesn't return control to the shell until I
close the window but it doesn't give me any logging output to the console
either, even when it crashes.

I still have the settings enabled for logging in the client. Am I doing
anything wrong?

thanks,

Mike