[vlc-devel] GSoC patch mpg123 question

William Hahne will07c5 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 05:53:31 CEST 2010

Hey, I'm back to working on the mpg123 plugin, I had to stop for
several days due to an overload of homework. The plugin loads
perfectly now but my problem now lies with libmpg123 which does not
seem happy with the data it is getting since it gives out a bunch of
errors.

[layer3.c:454] error: big_values too large!
[layer3.c:479] error: Blocktype == 0 and window-switching == 1 not allowed.
[layer3.c:1928] error: bad frame - unable to get valid sideinfo
Note: Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x140007ff at offset 0xd0.
[many more similar errors after this]

I'm guessing that mpg123 is probably more finicky and doesn't like
what the mpeg_audio codec does to the mp3 data, but I'm just
speculating since I haven't had enough time to understand exactly what
mpeg_audio.c does. I'm thinking that if it turns out that I need to
modify mpeg_audio.c to get mpg123 working, it might be better just to
make a separate codec for mpg123.

William Hahne (IRC: Will07c5)