[vlc-devel] set position when video is paused

Ruud Althuizen ruud at il.fontys.nl
Tue May 4 08:53:49 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Wed 28 Apr 2010 02:38 PM, Mehmet Kaplan wrote:
> Isn't there any stable solution for this problem, which will always
> work, probably a method causes to wait to the end of
> libvlc_media_player_set_position or libvlc_media_player_pause
> operation? Also is libvlc_media_player_set_position operation useless
> when media player is paused?
I'm not sure this is correct or even applies to all formats, but... MPEG-4
(and others) use motion detection between frames to achieve better
compression. This means that you have one reference B-frame and one or more
I- or P-frames that are only encoded if enough change/motion is found
between the frames; it may need more input frames than the 'current frame'
to get a full frame.

This means is that when you seek to a certain position in the input stream
it is possible that you find one incomplete (I- or P-) frame instead of
a complete (B-) frame thus making it impossible to show the video that you
just seeked to.

--
With regards,
Ruud Althuizen