[vlc-devel] VDA decoder module

Dilaroga dev dilaroga at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:40:45 CEST 2010

Hi, In attachment a patch that implements a vlc module/codec (my first vlc
module implementation....) which takes benefits of the video acceleration
API (VDA) on Mac OS X. I wrote the patch against the vlc-1.1 branche. To
compile you need to install the VDADecoder header as documented in the apple
technical note 2267 :
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2010/tn2267.html And,
then you have to link against the 10.6 sdk. Note that the acceleration only
works with H264 video in a mp4 container. The profits of video acceleration
are visibles, they depend of the media's settings. I've to do some more
advanced benchmark to quantify the performance improvment.
H264 in MKV fail by generating "late picture" warnings (maybe the conversion
: PIX_FMT_UYVY422 -> PIX_FMT_YUV420P or missing things in the DecodeBlock
implementation). I've noticed that the vda decoder is strict about the
resolution: it is able to decode only 720p resolution (probably 1080p but
i've no media for testing). Moreover, the decoder needs more code to extract
the avcC data from stream H264 in ts or m2ts container. Is there some
existing vlc's code that parses H264 bytestream which is factorizable ?
Maybe a vlc.git/module/codec/avcodec would be a better solution but it
requires some changes in ffmpeg.git/libavcodec.
Any help/advices appreciated... :)
-- Sebastien Zwickert