[vlc-devel] link with external DLL

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 17 16:01:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:35:02 +0300, "Yair Han" <YairH at optibase.com> wrote:
> I am writing a new KLV module. The module will load external library
> that translate the KLV according to the required standard. The
> architecture is very similar to ZVBI or QuickTime, just use external
> dll. How can I direct the VLC to load the external dll from a designated
> directory without adding it to windows path?

There are two ways. The old way provides the full path to the DLL to the
LoadLibraryW call. VLC does that currently. The newer way calls a dedicated
Win32 API function that register an extra DLL path. I forget the exact name
and it requires Windows XP SP2 or something, which is why VLC did not use
it.

VLC 1.2 will drop support for Win2k, so then we have an opportunity to fix
this mess.

> BTW, when I add the path to windows path it works okay but I want to add
> to a directory under VLC in a similar manner as the plugins directory.
> It will ease the deployment.

Currently, you cannot do that. That is why VLC plugins are all statically
linked on Windows until now.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis