[vlc-devel] grabbing frames with vlc 1.1.0

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri May 21 16:51:51 CEST 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
> So, I want to use VLC, but captured frames are incomplete.

VLC scene filter captures frames in real time, from the video pipeline. The image vout used to do the same, with a more efficient implementation.

But the problem is the same in both cases. Your system is not fast enough for real time capture of all frames (writing to disk and encoding pictures takes resources).

I am afraid there is no immediate solutiom. The correct modus operandi would not use real time, but simply transcode pictures sequentially at maximum system speed. I guess Gstreamer does that. This requires writing a new stream output plugin. Also, it will then not be possible to render the video at the same time.

--
Rémi