[vlc-devel] Issue with libVLC and pulse

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat May 29 13:55:29 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 17:31:19 Colin Guthrie, vous avez écrit :
> If there was a libvlc_set_user_agent() API call then this could be
> filled in automatically in the backend just as is done in GStreamer
> currently:
>
> http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon/blobs/master/gstreamer/backend.cpp#line6
> 3
>
> That said, this API call would have to be called prior to libvlc opening
> the pulse context. I'm not sure of the internals in VLC but I'm sure
> this can be arranged/documented appropriately.

It's not particularly difficult to add. But given the very dismissive attitude
of anything not gstreamer from PulseAudio upstream, I couldn't bother.

Not to mention that I am getting quite annoyed with PulseAudio bug #799 on the
one hand, and the Gentoo guys complaining about the VLC workaround for it on
the other side.

So in my opinion, I have to say, use ALSA.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis