[vlc-devel] Issue with libVLC and pulse

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat May 29 18:38:34 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Rémi Denis-Courmont at 29/05/10 17:33 did gyre and
gimble:
> Le mardi 25 mai 2010 15:23:43 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
>>> Well, the issue with phonon-VLC is that we have no idea what the final
>>> application name will be.
>>
>> There is only one way: let the application set the name (through
>> libvlc_set_user_agent() or whatever). Of course, if phono does not provide
>> the infos, you are screwed. But then it really is a Phonon design bug, in
>> addition to the libvlc design bug, and vlc-devel is about libvlc not
>> Phonon.
>
> I've just added a new --user-agent option to support this. The Phonon front-
> end (Yes, from my perspective, it is a *front*-end!) just needs to pass "--
> user-agent=\"APP_NAME\"" to libvlc_new(). This looks kinda ugly - I really
> don't like the argc/argv stuff in libvlc_new(). But it works better and is
> easier to implement than a dedicated function.
>
> Then the PA output plugin would have to call var_InheritString() and pass the
> result to the appropriate libpulse function; I hope it expects UTF-8...

Awesome! And yes I think it expects UTF-8, but I'll double check.

FWIW, I think PA (in tersm of the library) only uses xlib in one place.
I've done some tests with XCB and I can probably cook up a patch in a
little while.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie