[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: test: add an automatic test for the telnet interface ( Rémi Duraffort )

Rémi Duraffort ivoire at videolan.org
Mon Nov 1 13:22:14 CET 2010

> >  * the test is deactivated by default as it needed netcat. To activate it
> > you just need to add check_SCRIPTS to the TESTS variable (I won't do it
> > unless we think that netcat is present on every hosts that run the make
> > check?)
>
> This is really tricky. netcat can have different names (nc, nc6,
> netcat...). Also, there may be something else running on the port,
> including another VLC instance.

About the name or presence of netcat, I can write a small program that
will have the small features that I use here: doing a cat on a socket.

About the port number this test is effectivelly a bit difficult to use
on a buildbot but it can be adapted to use a different port number for
each instance of the test (like using the pid of the current script).

> Eventually, it all comes down to the RC/telnet unification. We really
> should have a clean separation between the command transport channel, and
> the command parser.
The luarc is going in this direction as you can use it directly from the
command line (like the oldrc) or through a socket.
But rc and telnet are not doing the same job anyway:
 * rc: classical interface to control a VLC (play/pause)
 * telnet: more usuable for a server as an interface to VLM.

--
Rémi Duraffort | ivoire
http://ivoire.dinauz.org/blog/