[vlc-devel] FSF position on GPLv2 & current App Store terms

Romain Goyet r.goyet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:57:48 CET 2010

Rémi,

You're being way too harsh on JB. And, more importantly, I really
don't get your point.

Isn't his job to actually promote VLC  ?

And thing is, VLC on the iOS is _the_ big VLC thing these days. People
are curious about it. That's a very good opportunity to get people
excited about VLC, and in a more general way to get people to
talk/blog/tweet about VLC. Indeed, two times this past month VLC ended
up being a trending topic on Twitter. That's some very good PR, and if
JB hadn't tweeted about this then that would have been a missed
opportunity.

Also, VLC on the iOS has been downloaded 2 million times in under a
week : it's about half as much as all the other platforms, including
the windows version. There's no way a community manager can ignore
this and not communicate on the topic !

To summarize, my point is simple : if JB hadn't been talking about
this, he simply wouldn't have done his job.

Now I understand you guys raised an issue with the GPLv2. To be really
honest with you guys, we had absolutely no idea of the possibility of
a license incompatibility. As far as I'm concerned, I really hate
legalese. (if it were up to me, I would have put MobileVLC's code
under BSD or public domain). I genuinely thought that as far as we 1/
Opened all source code and 2/ Licensed it under GPL as well, we were
ok. Turns out maybe not.
So given we thought we were doing things "right", I really don't see
why there shouldn't have been any communication on the iOS port...

 - Romain